Wednesday 28 November 2012

Maclura pomifera Osage Orange


Well done to those of you who correctly identified this amazing tree's seed pods. I think it's a fabulous name for a tree. One of the reasons I was so confused by this seed pod was that I found it on the ground nowhere near the tree itself. A child had possibly picked it up and carried it to another part of the garden. Anyway, a member of the gardening team took us to the tree, and below it were dozens of the things. I should think they'd give you a nasty bump on the head if they fell on you. So the moral of the story is, don't stand beneath a Maclura pomifera Osage Orange during the Autumn. But then I expect you knew that already!

6 comments:

  1. It's quite pretty in its own way seeing all those fruits lying all around the base of the plant during autumn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martin, I would never have been able to tell that they were the seed pods of the Maclura pomifera Osage Orange. Rather fascinating and I guess they would give you quite a whack on the head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very odd seed pod indeed. I'll be sure to stay alert when (and if) I am near this tree. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely a seed pod from outer space - the close up looks rather like a brain

    ReplyDelete