Thursday 20 September 2012

A Late Summer Gem

On Sunday I visited the beautiful garden at Bates Green in Arlington, East Sussex. This garden opens under the National Garden Scheme several times a year, and is also famed for its stunning bluebell walk. A true plant-lover's paradise, the garden seems to be at its peak no matter when one visits. It also boasts a rather fabulous tea room with wonderful cakes and ploughman's lunches. What more could one wish for?!

Oh my gourd!

They've been squashed in....


Aster-way to do it!

Grasses and perennials associating beautifully

A frenzy of late-flowering pokers

A cleverly framed view of the pond



There have been so many Red Admirals this week

Dahlias add heat to the mix

In this border, pastels are the stars

Hot, hot hot!

I think Christopher Lloyd would have liked this border


Mellow yellow

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful border and love the circular frame of the pond. And those gourds looks great, an image of autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gourds do look good, I think in some cases better than they taste...

      Delete
  2. Martin, what a wonderful autumnal garden! I love all the pumpkins and gourds! How I miss having the possibility to tour the NGS Open Gardens in your country. It is such a treat for me to be able to visit some of them through your blog. Thank you!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love NGS gardens because they are si individual. Some of our large historic gardens seem to be planted in the same way!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful place--thanks for posting about it. Fantastic, lush borders, just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in awe of gardens like that because of the science and artistry required to keep a garden looking like it is in it's prime all year along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it's a skill I don't possess, but always admire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sensational Perennial borders at Bates Green Martin. The blue Asters are just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous garden Martin - wish mine looked like that at this time of year. I can't get through to your blog now except through Blotanical it seems I am not in your blogging circle - shame!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Elaine - that's strange, as you also use Google Friends Connect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a lovely garden and so are your photos. Thanks for the tour! Jeannine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your visit Jeannine

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m now not positive where you’re getting your information, however great topic.
    clear away waste

    ReplyDelete