Thursday 25 August 2011

Cephalaria gigantea

Remember when Verbena bonariensis was the new must-have plant? Now it's everywhere, and rightly so, it's a fantastic plant in so many ways. It stands up to strong winds, self-seeds everywhere (a plus in my opinion) it's tall yet you can see through it etc. etc. I predict the next must-have plant will be Cephalaria gigantea. It shares many of the attributes of Verbena bonariensis, yet it hasn't reached the popular garden centres yet, and consequently it only seems to feature in a minority of gardens. I discovered the plant about ten years ago growing at the Harold Hillier Gardens in Hampshire, and was taken with its height and cheerful lemony blooms, similar to a scabious in form. I've started to build up a collection and Mum is propagating them successfully. In my garden they are still flowering well, although I noticed some in local gardens flowering in June, much earlier than mine. If you see any in your local garden centre, give them a go. Mine have survived two very harsh winters, and like the sunny position they've been granted.






Note: This is just one plant!

11 comments:

  1. Martin, this is indeed a very nice plant. I love the airiness of this one and that it is white flowering, since I am always on the hunt for white blooms for my garden. I am wondering if Cephalaria gigantea is available in the US and if it would grow in Southern California. I have to do some research on that one. Nice to get a glimpse into your beautiful garden, too. Did you put gravel or shells into your flower beds or were does the white color comes from? I like the look quite a bit!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought one of these at Tatton Flower Show, so far only leaves but hopefully next year it will flower and add height to my Cottage Garden border

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina,

    Funny you should mention the white colour on the ground. It's chalk. And you are quite welcome to it! The South Downs of England are covered in chalk, and in some places in my garden it's just pure chalk and no soil. Some plants love it, some plants hate it. I'm with the latter.

    Patientgardener, live up to your name and you shall be rewarded! I'm sure it will flower next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always been fond of the Verbena bonariensis, unfortunately it has to be treated as an annual up here. Must have a go at the Cephalaria gigantea, looks very special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martin, that is indeed funny with the chalk. I really thought you did some fancy flower bed treatment :-)! Chalk or not I still think the white looks great in between the plants!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a plant! Bumped into this gem a few times this year but it looked particularly splendid in the border at Packwood House. The bees go nuts for it!

    Bertie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this plant but have been warned that it is a thug

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. mine are pale yellow, not white, and some, in semi shade, grow to 12 feet! I love them dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. unfortunately it wont be the new verbena, its just too big, 1 meter wide eventually and flowers from what ive read for about 2 months which is shorter than verbena.

    ReplyDelete