Sunday 3 April 2011

Vann-tastic!

Today I paid my first vist to Vann Water Gardens in Surrey. It will not be my last! What an amazing place - rambling Tudor house surrounded by immaculate Spring planting, then on to water gardens where meandering streamside banks are carpeted with daffodils, anenomes and the most exquisite snake's head fritillaries (Fritillaria meleagris). Gertrude Jekyll was the mastermind behind this beautiful garden. She certainly knew what she was doing - this has to be one of the finest Spring Gardens in Britain. Do visit their website: Vann Garden to find out about other openings later in the year - I might just see you there! And I make no apologies for the amount of photos I've posted below - I was snapping left, right and centre!



















6 comments:

  1. So much to see! Thank you for this delightful array.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martin, This makes me realise just how much I miss England ... time to come home after two more weeks of visiting gardens here! Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing gardens this time of year, everything is just starting to grow, you can really see the structure of a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are welcome NellJean.
    Charlotte - poor you, only two weeks of dragging yourself around fantastic gardens in the US. I'm sure you'll survive!!!
    You are right Kilbournegrove, a well-planned garden can look really good in Spring. Mine is not really anything special until the Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beautiful looking place Martin, enjoyed looking at the photos. I have a special liking for water gardens (and features!) :) I'm seriously considering a visit in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Martin,I enjoyed your pictures of this amazing garden, but the Tudor house is truly something else.

    ReplyDelete